Welcome to Up Streets, my attempt at a travel blog, and perhaps something more over time.
I spitballed a few names that would be appropriate, something relevant to exploring. I reread the Dr Seuss essential and travelling standard “Oh, the Places You’ll Go” for some inspiration, and eventually came to this name after reading these lines:
You’ll look up and down streets. Look ‘em over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.
So who am I?
My name’s Jonno, a Sydney living, South African born, twenty something making my way through life.
I’ve started Up Streets, like so many others, as a way to communicate and express close to every little detail of my impending adventure around the world. Along with a few friends, I have decided to embark on an eight month trip, one that has been in the works for years, and hopefully the start of many extended trips abroad.
So far in my life, I’ve travelled:
- To many parts of Australia (but not enough), including the Great Barrier Reef (luckily getting in there before it is destroyed), much of NSW, Melbourne, and a few other bits and pieces.
- Down to New Zealand, driving around most of the South island, but only Auckland in the North.
- Across South Africa, residing in Johannesburg but seeing much of the country, Kruger still standing out as my favourite, although my family would argue that nothing beats the Drakensburg.
- To Botswana (mainly through Chobe National Park), Zambia (almost purely for Victoria Falls), and Mauritius.
- To London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich and Zurich, as well as a fair chunk of Israel.
- To Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Hong Kong.
I hope that this blog provides value for anyone who stumbles upon it, be it for travelling or any aspect of life. Enjoy!